Pittsford Historical Society Inc. News -
Tues: 9 am–4 pm;
Apr. 6 – Nov. 16;
Located in Eaton Hall, 3399 US Route 7.
Address mail to:
PO Box 423, Pittsford, VT 05763
Curator: Anne Pelkey 483-6178
Membership: Doris Hoare 483-6470
Newsletter Editor: Peggy Armitage 483-2108.
Pittsford Historical Society, Inc.
Box 423, Pittsford, VT 05763
Meeting Notice Sunday, March 11, 2012
The Pittsford Historical Society will meet in
the Pittsford Congregational Church’s fellowship hall on the Village Green
and Route 7 for a potluck supper at 5:30 p.m. Sunday, March 11. Please
bring a dish to share. The meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m., followed
at about 7:00 by a program featuring a film about the Caverly Children’s
Health Center in Pittsford from 1947 to 1973. Originally the Caverly
Preventorium, it cared for children at risk of contracting tuberculosis.
Many of them had a parent with TB in the Vermont Sanatorium nearby.
The film, about 20 minutes in length, is a copy of the original in the
archives of the Vermont Historical Society. It will be of interest to
children and adults. Members are urged to bring a friend. Anyone
interested in Pittsford’s history is welcome to attend. The church is ADA
The following excerpts are taken from
President Ernie Clerihew’s annual report submitted for this year’s Pittsford
--- At our annual member meeting in October 2011, the Histporical Society
participated in the celebration of the 250th anniversary of the signing of
our Town Charter. Vice President Melanie Clerihew assembled a display
of photos taken at the home of Benning Wentworth in Portsmouth, New
Hampshire. It was Governor Wentworth who signed Pittsford’s charter in
October 1761, granting six square miles of land to 64 proprietors of
Pittsford. The original Charter was on display for the students of
Lothrop School to view in the museum on October 12, 2011. Many
students experienced the Historical Society Museum for the first time and
most were enthusiastic about the artifacts on display.
--- In 2011, Pittsford’s Junior Historical Society Members engaged in two
hikes led by Jim Moore of the Crown Point Road Association. One hike
was to find “Pitt’s Ford,” a location on the Road and a crossing at Otter
Creek. The other hike involved searching for old building and well
sites on the property of David Mills in Florence, along the route of the
original Crown Point Road. The Junior Historical Society is headed by
2012 Officers and Trustees Reelected
at Annual Meeting
President Ernest Clerihew; Vice President
Melanie Clerihew; Recording Secretary Rebecca Davenport; Corresponding
Secretary Jane Welch; Treasurer Barbara Poljacik. Trustees Peggy Armitage,
Ernest Brod, Doris Hoare. Immediate Past President Robert Welch.
Barbara Poljacik and Doris Hoare resigned recently due to ill health.
Assistant Treasurer Terri Davis was appointed to fill Barbara’s unexpired
term; Doris’s position as a trustee is open at this time. Stephen Belcher IV
assumed Doris’s duties as membership chairman. President Ernie Clerihew
said, “Both Barb and Doris deserve heartfelt thanks for their years of hard
A 501(c)(3) organization